sking
a year ago I had to replace my entire rear end axle on my F150 with a used one that is still under warranty at local Ford dealership.  The back of my truck sled into curbing due to icy road and bent the axle and rim of tire.  I had rim replaced and 4 new tires installed at my local tire shop.  I just noticed that the tread on the rear tires seemed to be wearing down a lot faster than the front.  I only have 10,000 miles on the tires that are supposed to last 60,000.  I took the truck back to the Ford dealership this week and they confirmed that yes tires on front are 11/32 and tires on back are 6/32 and 5/32?  So they are wearing much faster.  The tires on back don't appear to wearing unevenly on each tire.  They checked alignment and dimensions on rear end and said everything looks fine.  One of the seals did go bad and I had to replace that but would that cause this issue? Does anyone know what the issue could be?  I don't think it is the tires.  Did they install a wrong rear end?  Is the gearing different in this rear end?  Please just looking for answers.

Thank you
SK
Quote 0 0
Rhinobuggie
Posi diff will wear tire's faster if driven on the pavement all the time 
Jay
Quote 0 0
John L.
Rhinobuggie wrote:
Posi diff will wear tire's faster if driven on the pavement all the time 

Do you care to explain why you think that a Posi will wear tires faster?
Quote 0 0
Rhinobuggie
When a vehicle turns a corner , the inside tire of the turn at a slower speed , compared to the outside tire  ,  open diff will let this speed difference to happen , and not wear the tire's faster. With a posi diff , the diff is trying to make both tire turn the same speed , which. Means something has to give . In your case the tire tread . I have a Bronco with a spool diff which makes both tire's turn the same speed all the time , I turn a corner even at 5 mph I will hear tire's squealing , but this truck is for off road so it's not a problem 
Jay
Quote 0 0
Rhinobuggie
Jay
Quote 0 0

Add a Website Forum to your website.