petelahr
It seems like my battery only drains the more I drive it. Got a new battery, Alt. and cables and the belt is tight. I can't drive more than a half of a tank of gas before you can tell the engine is starving for electricity. Can sit in garage alright and not lose a charge.
Quote 0 0
justincadle
Without knowing year, make, or model it's hard to help you. But it sounds like your alternator isn't seeing a reference voltage. An alternator won't charge without have a keyed excite wire, and it needs to have the proper resistance for a "dummy light" in the dash. A little more info and I can probably help you or at least point you in the right direction.
Quote 0 0
petelahr
1967 Chevy Camaro and another deal with this which I didn't hook up is the key don't turn it over. It has a drag type ignition which you turn key to run and flip a toggle switch up to start. I only understand the normal way cars were made so not sure any of that is right or wrong. The light is on in the dash but it was when I bought alternator and complained it wasn't working and drove car to where I bought it and he tested it ok.
Quote 0 0
justincadle
I'm not certain what the resistance has to be on that wire, but that could be part of the problem. Check to see what the manufacturer of the alternator says is a required resistance and see what you have at the wire. Could just need to add a resistor in line with the light and it will work fine
Quote 0 0
tomkunik
Is the voltage regulator still in there?
You are not getting a charge from the alternator. It can test good but if it wont charge while it runs...
67 had a regulator on the firewall - its not internal like todays are so there is no "Resistance" in the wire.
Those regulator are notorious for going bad just because they can.
Ive had one die on the Interstate and the lights start getting dim is the only clue.
local sahop should be able to diagnose the issue for you
Quote 1 0
Paul P
Jump out the regulator if you have a 10-12SI alternator with an internal regulator. 

http://www.camaros.net/techref/ftecref14.html

Good simple diagrams. I did this on my car over 20 years ago.
Quote 1 0

Add a Website Forum to your website.