cosmicfrog
I paint my cars and trucks an easier and cheaper way than with spray bombs. I use a roller. Granted, they aren't show cars, but they look pretty decent anyway. In 1988 through the early 90's, all the manufacturers went with a new paint process that didn't require as much prep work. By the early 90's they found out it really DID require more prep work as the paint started falling off most cars and trucks. That's why ou see large spots of paint missing off older cars. 

I had a Plymouth that had no paint on the top when I got it. Originally green, it had been primered but never repainted. $40 worth of paint and rollers and brushes from Rural King and a couple of hours and it looked pretty decent.
sundance4.jpg 

I don't care for chrome and black is just fine with me.
Honk if you love Jesus.
Text if you want to meet him.
Quote 0 0
Narwal
Sorry, but I think it looks terrible. So obviously a home job. If you even slightly care spend a few bucks and go with a rattle can job or wrap the car.  Flat anything on a whole car just looks trashy.
Quote 0 0
cosmicfrog
Narwal wrote:
Sorry, but I think it looks terrible. So obviously a home job. If you even slightly care spend a few bucks and go with a rattle can job or wrap the car.  Flat anything on a whole car just looks trashy.

Nearly every spray bomb job I've seen looks mottled. Roller paint jobs generally look pretty decent and last longer under severe weather like we get around here. As for black, that's a matter of taste. I guess I just don't have your fashion sense. Black isn't the only color out there, I just prefer it.
Honk if you love Jesus.
Quote 0 0
Narwal
I didn't say anything about black. I said FLAT looks trashy.  I guess your poor eyesight might explain why you think it "looks" decent, but I suppose it depends on what your definition of "decent" is.  If you think it means "as good as any other paint job at the trailer park" then I guess you are right.  In any case, your old beater is just a few miles away from it's next incarnation. Seats will go on your trailer patio and the tires become flower planters. And if there is room in your luxury 14 footer the engine becomes a stand for a glass table  (beer shelf).
Quote 1 0
cosmicfrog
Narwal wrote:
I didn't say anything about black. I said FLAT looks trashy.  I guess your poor eyesight might explain why you think it "looks" decent, but I suppose it depends on what your definition of "decent" is.  If you think it means "as good as any other paint job at the trailer park" then I guess you are right.  In any case, your old beater is just a few miles away from it's next incarnation. Seats will go on your trailer patio and the tires become flower planters. And if there is room in your luxury 14 footer the engine becomes a stand for a glass table  (beer shelf).

Flat black is an old term and most people use the term "satin". Put them side by side and you can see the similarity. High gloss may look nice for a garage queen but a flatter finish is what you want when you spend a lot of time on the road. High glare from the sun can cause fatigue in short order.

Why all the comments about trailer parks? Are you questioning your life choices. As for an engine becoming a table, I think the Powernation offices have one. They showed the built a season or two ago and I thought they did a good job.
Honk if you love Jesus.
Quote 0 0
Narwal
I think you are incorrect about the paint. At my local Home Depot they offer black in flat, satin, and gloss. It's kinda like house paint. Don't know if there is actually flat black house paint, but you can get "eggshell" which is a much lower gloss than regular paint.

As for your ideas of flat paint on a car, if it makes so much sense how come you don't see the auto manufactures offering it? BMW had a flat finish for a short while but it was a disaster. Any tiny bit of rain or water left ugly stains. And you can't wax it so it was a nightmare to maintain and they discontinued it.

I don't question my life choices, but maybe the young rednecks who live in trailer parks should. I'm glad you like the engine table. Does it go nicely with the old car seat on your porch and the used tire flower planters?
Quote 0 0

Add a Website Forum to your website.