jeffprobst
I've had several issues with this engine since I bought my truck new in 05, biggest of which is the thrust washers falling out into oil pan twice. The engine finally let loose a few weeks ago. Thinking about buying a reman and trying to improve on it, but not finding much on this motor. Yes a supercharger would be great but I'd like to address this weak link before trying to get any more power out of it, any ideas, maybe a future build? I know there many folks out there with the same problems.
Quote 0 0
tonyhill
Jeff, I too have a 2005, Triton 5.4 that died due to a faulty #5 injector after 215k miles.  After EXTENSIVE research into engine alternatives all across the price range and build options I settled on a Lightening engine from Promar in New Jersey.  With Promar you can choose the level of engine you want and they will ship it to you hassle free.  So far I have about 1000 miles on it with no issues other than an O2 sensor fault that I believe was still stored as a pending from the previous engine (since it cleared and has not reoccurred).  Keep in mind that the Tritons are in high demand so sourcing one may involve a lead time, for me it was 3 weeks.  They simply are not sitting in a warehouse somewhere, so waiting was the worst of it all and cost me another $800 for a rental car!  Regardless, I would suggest looking into Promar as a good value and decent builder for the Ford 5.4L modulars.
Quote 1 0
justincadle
On a limb here, have you had any transmission problems? Such as cooler lines leaking or blowing apart? Thrust bearings on a crank don't fall out for no reason. I'd be checking your transmission for problems such as too much feed from the pump to the converter creating pressure between the converter and the flexplate. If the pump in the transmission isn't being limited enough on how much pressure it feeds the converter it can have that effect on main thrust bearings.
Quote 0 0
jeffprobst
Thank you, Tony for the recommendation on who to source a motor from. I've been looking at remans, and will decide on that later. I have other transportation, and time to look at options. Justin, the issue with thrust washer is not an isolated one, with this engine, I've looked at many Ford forums and oil pressure loss from this happening is not hard to find. To answer your question though, the transmission has never had an issue, leaks, or shown any signs of being the cause. I think in my case, driving the truck like I stole it for most of its life has a great deal to do with it. But who doesn't like to burn the tires down once in a while or do dounuts in a super cab truck. I just waned to know for a future build if there is an alternative to thrust washers, could some machining be done to replace them with a thrust bearing, that has worked very well in millions of motors for many years, and what other improvements can be made.
Quote 1 0
justincadle
jeffprobst wrote:
Thank you, Tony for the recommendation on who to source a motor from. I've been looking at remans, and will decide on that later. I have other transportation, and time to look at options. Justin, the issue with thrust washer is not an isolated one, with this engine, I've looked at many Ford forums and oil pressure loss from this happening is not hard to find. To answer your question though, the transmission has never had an issue, leaks, or shown any signs of being the cause. I think in my case, driving the truck like I stole it for most of its life has a great deal to do with it. But who doesn't like to burn the tires down once in a while or do dounuts in a super cab truck. I just waned to know for a future build if there is an alternative to thrust washers, could some machining be done to replace them with a thrust bearing, that has worked very well in millions of motors for many years, and what other improvements can be made.
I'm sure a local machine shop could answer that question for you. I honestly haven't had much experience with the modular bottom end. 
Quote 0 0
nekko
jeffprobst wrote:
think in my case, driving the truck like I stole it for most of its life has a great deal to do with it. But who doesn't like to burn the tires down once in a while or do dounuts in a super cab truck..

On one hand, good for you for buying a Mitsubishi instead of the usual run of the mill suspects like the crap F150 or pathetic Dodge Ram, but on the other hand, you must be a huge moron if you do burnouts and donuts in a truck. But I am impressed that an imbecile like you managed to save up enough to actually by a truck. I guess White Castle pays more than I thought.
Quote 0 0

Add a Website Forum to your website.