Skyline99Nissan
I'd be interested in seeing some LT1 Gen II engines get built up in stages with a working person's reasonable budget. It's kind of a forgotten engine due to the LS. The aftermarket has a lot of parts available for them and these cars are coming down in price; and could turn some heads
Quote 0 0
Amorget
LT1 4th gens hit rock bottom price wise years ago, and have stayed there.  The Optispark on the LT1's is probably its biggest problem.  The intake system isn't bad.

What exactly are you looking for?  In the end the LT1 responds to mods about the same as a Gen I SBC.
Quote 0 0
Skyline99Nissan

That they most certainly has. Prices for these vehicles are in the $2,000-$3000 range in my area and out of the box their pretty quick. The optispark has been and is their biggest problem but there are products available to help with that. 24x and the new torqhead systems totally eliminate the optispark all together and allow the use of the faster and better LS based PCM. The torqhead system allows you to not even open up the engine to install; it's virtually plug and play and everything is external. There's also the LTCC system that still uses the optical sensor but eliminates the spark going through and lets you use LS coil near plug system. I'm just looking for people to think about them as more than the "oh it's just an LT1." I'm the guy in my vehicle group that has a worked up LT1 and get made fun of for it because I don't have an LS in my car; but yet everyone I've raced has seen my tail lights and makes them look at the LT in a new light.

It's the nearly forgotten engine in performance history that in my opinion deserves more respect that what most people will ever give it simply because of the optispark "failure" and the incredible LS engine

Quote 0 0
John L.
Now stuff like this is why I joined this site.  Although I had my LT1 swapped for an LS1, this was interesting to read.  I don't see too many taillights.
Quote 0 0
jimmygarris
I have a 68 camaro with 350 4 bolt main with Holly top end with aluminum heads, intake, comp cam and did have holly carb all mated up by holly, I changed holly carb out for edelbrock because I was having problems with holly carb. I have good horsepower but I'm just curious so how can I find out if a carb spacer will increase my horsepower without a dyno being dynos are scarce around here plus a good spacer is about $150 which is a lot to pay and then throw it on a shelf because it didn't work.
Quote 0 0
rodben
Check this out though not the cheapest build I think-- superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1809-refresh-bigger-cam-ls7-worth-661-hp/
Quote 0 0