Bamafan
You guys need to learn to use the correct tense of the word RUN. If you run something, it is now or today. If you ran something it was sometime before today. If you will run something it will happen sometime after today. I love your shows and watch them every week and this is one thing you guys need to correct. Don't know where your producers went to school but they obviously didn't do well in English. Otherwise, keep up the good work.
Curtis Smith
Quote 2 0
Vedubb
Bamafan wrote:
You guys need to learn to use the correct tense of the word RUN. If you run something, it is now or today. If you ran something it was sometime before today. If you will run something it will happen sometime after today. I love your shows and watch them every week and this is one thing you guys need to correct. Don't know where your producers went to school but they obviously didn't do well in English. Otherwise, keep up the good work.

I totally agree! I've made comments regarding this issue in the past. I think I know the exact "ran" you're referring to. It happened on Engine Power this past weekend. I also catch a lot of mistakes with putting "ly" on a word in a phrase or sentence. For example I've heard someone on on Detroit Muscle say " it (the car) went down the track quick" when it's actually it went down the track quickLY. To be fair, I hear it on the news way more often than anywhere else. 
Quote 0 0
cosmicfrog
(

Vedubb
Bamafan wrote:

I totally agree! I've made comments regarding this issue in the past. I think I know the exact "ran" you're referring to. It happened on Engine Power this past weekend. I also catch a lot of mistakes with putting "ly" on a word in a phrase or sentence. For example I've heard someone on on Detroit Muscle say " it (the car) went down the track quick" when it's actually it went down the track quickLY. To be fair, I hear it on the news way more often than anywhere else. 

Just how many profiles do you have? I'll admit a lot of writers really need to go back to school. I remember one talking about "the turn of the Century" and telling people that 2000 was the first year of the 21st Century and that people who say otherwise are ignorant". Actually, 2000 was also 20 hundred and the last year of the 20th Century. One that gripes me every time I hear it is when I hear a newscaster say someone "pleaded guilty". I took classes in broadcasting before I decided I wanted to make money. Back then, the past term for plea was pled. After all, if you ran from the police, you fled, you didn't fleaded.

Keep in mi-b, The hosts on the shows are talking to a certain audience. If they come off as English professors, a lot of the people watching will change the channel.
)
Honk if you love Jesus.
Text if you want to meet him.
Quote 0 0
John L.
This thread is funny in how people find the stupidest things to talk about to make themselves feel important.  I am all for correct grammar, but the shows are about vehicles and not grammar.  Whether or not something is said wrong intentionally or by accident, I don't care.  I watch for the content.  Cosmicfrog you are still here, so I guess that you part of the "dumb" audience.
Quote 0 0
cosmicfrog
I'm part of an audience that buys things. That makes me a market target. I also enjoy watching machinery being maintained. I'm not much on the extreme fabrication with expensive tools, but there's enough other stuff to keep me entertained. I've watched what is now PowerNation since the beginning. Before Katy, was Courtney. Before her was Danica Patrick. Before her was Michelle Spaziano. Pretty gals and hot rods, what can be better?
Honk if you love Jesus.
Quote 0 0
Vedubb
John L.,

It's never stupid to at least try to utilize proper english. Pointing out using improper tenses, and as I stated not putting LY on words where necessary is how people realize what they're doing wrong sometimes. I'f you're educated beyond high-school it should bother you when it's said over and over. 

Cosmicfrog,

It's insulting that you refer to the audience as a"certain audience." So are you saying hot rodders aren't smart people? I beg to differ! We're not asking for english professors, just simple, proper english regarding tenses and such. 
Quote 0 0
cosmicfrog
Vedubb wrote:
John L.,

It's never stupid to at least try to utilize proper english. Pointing out using improper tenses, and as I stated not putting LY on words where necessary is how people realize what they're doing wrong sometimes. I'f you're educated beyond high-school it should bother you when it's said over and over. 

Cosmicfrog,

It's insulting that you refer to the audience as a"certain audience." So are you saying hot rodders aren't smart people? I beg to differ! We're not asking for english professors, just simple, proper english regarding tenses and such. 

Easily insulted are we? I've got news for you, life is not fair, get used to it. A "certain audience" is a common term for the targeted audience for a broadcast event. Oprah was aimed at women and her network still is. Bravo is aimed at a gay audience. Paramount is mainly aimed at adult males. Other cable channels have their "certain audience" that marketers target. If something is to broadly aimed, it may fail. The radio program "Dr. Demento" went off the air because it's popularity was too broad. A rock station didn't look to draw country listeners. Country stations didn't want to lose advertisers because of rock listeners. The certain audience just wasn't there.

Keep in mind that English is a vibrant and evolving language. Some of what pundits claim to be "proper" English is actually former slang. I'm sure you would describe the word "ain't" as uneducated. It's actually a contraction that was common and proper English before the 1900's.
Honk if you love Jesus.
Quote 0 0
Vedubb
cosmicfrog wrote:

Easily insulted are we? I've got news for you, life is not fair, get used to it. A "certain audience" is a common term for the targeted audience for a broadcast event. Oprah was aimed at women and her network still is. Bravo is aimed at a gay audience. Paramount is mainly aimed at adult males. Other cable channels have their "certain audience" that marketers target. If something is to broadly aimed, it may fail. The radio program "Dr. Demento" went off the air because it's popularity was too broad. A rock station didn't look to draw country listeners. Country stations didn't want to lose advertisers because of rock listeners. The certain audience just wasn't there.

Keep in mind that English is a vibrant and evolving language. Some of what pundits claim to be "proper" English is actually former slang. I'm sure you would describe the word "ain't" as uneducated. It's actually a contraction that was common and proper English before the 1900's.

Frog,

It's funny that "certain people" such as yourself feel the need to tell a complete stranger about life. You have absolutely no idea who you're talking to, my race or religion, how old I am, or my education level. Therefore, you in particular are unable to insult me and should keep the lecturing to yourself or someone that gives a shit. The second I read your first sentence the rest was blah blah blah. 

And BTW, don't try back-peddling now because we all know what you meant by "certain audience" and it isn't referring to just adult males. Consequently, that statement in and of itself is insulting to all of the female hotroddes that watch Powernation, and I assure you there are many females into cars and hotrodding. I happen to know many! 

Also, DO NOT tell me that you're sure of how I would describe anything. Again, you know nothing about me and my background, and you'll never be able to educate me in particular. Therefore, I ain't studnn you!
Quote 0 0
cosmicfrog
Welcome back Necko
Honk if you love Jesus.
Quote 0 0
John L.
I agree with Vedubb except for his need to be the grammar police.  Cosmicfrog, you are right.  Life isn't fair and it isn't fair that I should have to read your posts.  I think that I fell asleep reading your posts.  You usually like to ramble on about something or talk about yourself.  I guess that is the problem with forums, there are useless posts like yours.  Normally, I would ignore such things, but you basically calling the shows viewers dumb pushed a button.  And your "back-peddling" about a "certain audience" was a bunch of useless trash.
Quote 1 0
Vedubb
Amen to that John L. We can agree to disagree regarding being the "grammar police." I'm not perfect at grammar; nobody is due to the complexity of the english language. However, I feel everyone should try, especially when we're writing, to execute grammar the best we possibly can. I had an english professor that always said "when you're speaking, grammar isn't as important to get your point across, but with a little practice we all can naturally speak with grammar awareness." I happen to live with that awareness. 

The bottom line here is that the Powernation shows are great information for our hobby with new parts and techniques that help us all, and I'll continue to watch regardless of their "grammar awareness!"
Quote 0 0