cosmicfrog
I picked up a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 the other day. It had an engine noise. I pulled the oil pan and found the oil pickup plugged with sludge. (Why yes, it is a 4.7. Why do you ask?) I'm looking for another engine in  case I can't bring this one back. The used engines I'm finding are about the same price as a new one. I did however come across a 5.7 with transmission and only 37,000 miles on the clock out of an '07 Dodge Ram.

My question to the collective is will this go right in as a unit and work fine or will I need to swap the computer too? I don't know if the brain box is available. The truck it's going into is rather neglected but seems to be a solid base for a driver.
Honk if you love Jesus.
Text if you want to meet him.
Quote 0 0
John L.
Dodge may be different, but, from my experience with my GM swap, a different engine means a different computer and wiring harness (or at least harness modification).  If you haven't already tried this, you might want to go to a website that has a parts catalog like AllMoparParts.Com (Replacement Parts Catalog link) or TascaParts.Com and see if the part numbers match up for the computer and harness for the two engines.
Quote 0 0
cosmicfrog
I may be able to bring this engine back. I've been looking at used and rebuilt engines and the used ones run from $1599 to $2250. A rebuilt engine will run $1999. This is about $800 less than the engine/transmission unit I was thinking of. The computer is not available for the 5.7 and the harness is different that year from mine.

The bottom end doesn't look too bad and there aren't any metal shavings in the pan. I'm going to clean the pan and pickup and then put fresh oil in it. I'll put a big honkin' magnet on the filter to catch metal and once it's to operating temperature, pour in a quart of kerosene and then run it two blocks to a friends shop for another, final oil change. I don't know how this will work on a second gen Magnum. I've done it several times through the years on other engines that have been run hot. I also found a leaking radiator which is why it overheated.

IMG-0128.jpg 
IMG-0127.jpg 
Honk if you love Jesus.
Text if you want to meet him.
Quote 0 0