DstnD

Does a Subaru qualify for work on Truck Tech? votes

Yes 3 votes
50%
 No 3 votes
50%
This poll has been closed.
Truck Tech is all about trucks. However, they've featured an El Camino (which is a "coupe utility vehicle"). I think defining something as a truck goes beyond whether or not it has a tailgate. I'd consider a Suburban or Blazer a truck (as well as my Subaru Outback). To me, it has more to do with the context of its usage. 

Would you watch them build up a Subaru with truck-thinking? Anything between a 2000 Outback/Baja and 2019 Ascent.

I don't have a truck, but my 2000 Outback is pretty close. It can be used for hauling and light towing, and the AWD system is excellent off-road. Mine is begging for more ground clearance and horsepower, as well as being set up for towing.

I'd really like to see what the Truck Tech guys would do to something like an old Outback to bring out more of its inner-truck. Lift, tires, drive-train, accessories, etc.
Quote 1 1
Rhinobuggie
Off road my ass!! glorified dirt road is all it can do ! It's not a rock climber and never will ! 
Jay
Quote 0 1
DstnD
Rhinobuggie wrote:
Off road my ass!! glorified dirt road is all it can do ! It's not a rock climber and never will ! 
You might not be aware, but "off-road" just means "not on pavement". Not everything needs to be a rock crawler or a mud bogger. There are many levels of play you can participate in, and not every vehicle can hang in every situation - obviously. But Subaru absolutely has a place in an off-road discussion.
Quote 1 0
DstnD
Here's a respectable run at the "Hell's Revenge Trail" in Moab Utah, in a lightly modified Subaru sedan. 
Quote 1 0
Rhinobuggie
it's a car end of story ! you want it so bad build it yourself ! 
Jay
Quote 0 1
DstnD
Rhinobuggie wrote:
it's a car end of story ! you want it so bad build it yourself ! 
So is an El Camino (which they worked on), and they also work on SUVs (which most Subarus are) -- sooo, save your hostility for your wife and children. If you don't like the idea, vote no and move the hell on. It's not like I'm asking them to work on my car, just any Subaru.
Quote 0 0
Rhinobuggie
I did vote no ! You asked the question and your getting pissed because you didn't get the response you wanted ! 
Jay
Quote 0 0
DstnD
Rhinobuggie wrote:
I did vote no ! You asked the question and your getting pissed because you didn't get the response you wanted ! 
I don't care about your answer, you just don't need to be a tool about it. You offered nothing constructive, you just kept ranting. I pointed out multiple reasons why Subaru deserves at least consideration (with video even), and others agree or there wouldn't be any Yes votes.

You don't just get to shut down a thread because you disagree. Say something worth saying, or just leave it at your No vote. Talk about specific limitations of Subarus that make you believe as you do. Such as being unable to lift more than a couple-few inches without additional modification to drivetrain location. Just CONTRIBUTE, it's a discussion.
Quote 0 0
Rhinobuggie
To do a lift and bigger tire's is not that simple on this car . First the transaxle , cv shafts would need to be longer and working angel would have to be wider . Yes a spacer can be put in but changes driver angel . Rear could be done with spacers like you would do with a front axle on say a Chevy pickup .  To run bigger tire's you need to regear front and rear final driver gear  , that may not be available or the car will be a dog at low rpm and hard on clutches or run an automatic really hot .  This car does not have a t case so no gearing down .    I've been off-roading for 30 plus years and built so crazy stuff !My avatar is my 67 Bronco and everything is custom on it , 4 link front and rear 26 inches of travel on the front axle 34 inches on the rear , full hydraulic steering .   To do what you want is very pricey with very little gain ! Stick to the rally car world ! This wil not be and off-roader ! 
Jay
Quote 1 0
DstnD
Rhinobuggie wrote:
To do a lift and bigger tire's is not that simple on this car . First the transaxle , cv shafts would need to be longer and working angel would have to be wider . Yes a spacer can be put in but changes driver angel . Rear could be done with spacers like you would do with a front axle on say a Chevy pickup .  To run bigger tire's you need to regear front and rear final driver gear  , that may not be available or the car will be a dog at low rpm and hard on clutches or run an automatic really hot .  This car does not have a t case so no gearing down .    I've been off-roading for 30 plus years and built so crazy stuff !My avatar is my 67 Bronco and everything is custom on it , 4 link front and rear 26 inches of travel on the front axle 34 inches on the rear , full hydraulic steering .   To do what you want is very pricey with very little gain ! Stick to the rally car world ! This wil not be and off-roader ! 

That's pretty much the same info I've been coming across online. Anybody that's gone over 4 inches of lift, has done so with different axles/transmission. The Subaru boxer motor works pretty well in off-road applications, if it can be mated with appropriate gearing/shifting. There are also dual-range transmissions on some Euro/Aus models of Subaru, there's a possibility of a swap (Some old Subaru models also had dual-range 4x4, instead of the modern AWD). But the CV angle still gets to be a problem with much lift. The biggest Subaru I found last night ended up swapping for a Toyota transmission and different axles. Working within these limitations sounds like a good challenge for one of these shows though. Everybody knows how to make an off-roader out of pickups. But yeah, I understand what you're saying - those limitations are pretty solid and you have to gut much of what is actually Subaru to make it compete with trucks. It doesn't necessarily need to compete with trucks though, just provide better off-road performance over stock.

I think part of the issue is that these vehicles are so damn capable from the factory, that we want to see what can really be done with them. However, Subaru didn't leave much room to grow. You can beef up the motor and give it some height, but you might not like doing what needs done in order to go farther. 

I'd still watch a Subaru build though. They could do a Forester; swap in the dual range, beef up the CVs, etc. Just to see what the best is that they could do.
Quote 0 0